Wednesday 28 December 2011

Standing out


My husband and I are on the move. Staying in a short-term rental for four months; then in a backpacker’s lodge for just over a week; then with family for a few days over Christmas; then in a guest house for three days; then with the other family for six days; then we will still see... As mentioned on the Fascinating Feminine page I go with my husband wherever his work takes him.

Over this time I’ve had lots to observe but what I would like to recount is our stay at the backpacker’s lodge. It is not the most elegant accommodation but attracts the most interesting people (mostly from overseas). The owner of the establishment, Nel, is a small woman with long blonde hair. She is a little scatter-brained but ever so sweet and concerned with the guests’ comfort. Being 700m from the beach most of the guests are dressed in shorts and T-shirts. In particular the women wear very short shorts and tank tops.

One morning I was in the country-style kitchen making tea. There were a number of other guests getting ready for a day at the beach. Some were making bacon and eggs and others were pouring milk into their bowls of cereal. All dressed in shorts and T-shirts. Nel came into the kitchen and my eyes could not help but be instantly drawn to her. She was wearing a light blue halter-neck dress and sandals. Her hair was loose and her face was fresh. In fact she looked like the only woman there: she stood out like colour in a world of grey. All the others women in the kitchen were much younger and yet they faded into the background in comparison. I had a first-hand experience of the effect in a room full of people and it was then that it really hit me. There is something magical in dressing feminine; something that distinguishes you from the rest.

I thought “this is exactly why men are drawn to feminine women because it is so plainly obvious they are women. They look so very different to men.” We really could all do with more skirts and less jeans.

No comments:

Post a Comment